Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Too good to last. :(

We have had a couple of days of backward progress.  Michalla's fever has been going up and we finally found the cause of her intense stomach pain.  She has C Diff.  This is a common infection of the colon, especially if you have been on a lot of antibiotics, which she most certainly has.  It causes diarrhea, fever and pain.  Check, check and check.  ( Can you imagine having diarrhea when you can't move without help and you have to go in a bedside portable toilet.) :(

They tried clamping off her chest drains for a day to see if her lungs were ready for them to be removed.  Her breathing got worse and when they unclamped them, the nurse was able to pull off 17 of those syringe tubes full of fluid.  No wonder she was struggling so much to breathe with it clamped.






Michalla's skin on her whole body is peeling. No matter how much lotion you put on. I'm sure this is another annoying chemo side effect.

Michalla a few minutes ago got all sad and teary eyed and expressed that she feels like she has no say or control of herself.  People have to help her move, help her go to the bathroom, bathe her etc. And 24 hrs a day nurses and docs and therapists are telling her what to do.  She doesn't get to make any decisions or decide anything for herself.  She also was bothered that so many people every day look at her butt (even more than normal because of the cyst.) and every other area you are taught to keep private as a young girl.  It really made me feel for her.  As a grown woman with 5 kids I have not thought about privacy or modesty for a long time. But as a 19 year old girl it is kind of humbling and embarrassing.

6 comments:

  1. My heart hurts for you guys!! I wish there was something I could do for you and your family! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers... always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! I bet she could relate to Stephanie Nielson or NieNie when it comes to no privacy or control. Michalla is such an amazing girl, I pray for her to heal so we can one day hear her story too. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really got to know Michalla but I did go to The Forum Academy with her for a short time and I am so grateful for the bit of time I got to be around her sweet spirit. She is truly an amazing person and I will be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe try to come up with as many choices as you can give her : Lights on or off, sit up a little more or lay back a little, hand massage or foot massage, listen to music or have silence, have a book read to her or not, put ChapStick on herself or not, nails done or not, …….these may seem simple to us, but maybe they will help her feel SOME sort of control? <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such hard times, so glad that they figured out the stomach pain and getting off all of that fluid should help a little. Being so helpless must be so hard for a girl once filled with so much life. We love and pray for you Michalla and mom.

    ReplyDelete