Saturday, June 14, 2014

The veil is ever thinning

Met with the docs this morning.  Michalla's potassium level is now at 7.1. They told us that 7 is where we would probably start seeing some heart function abnormalities. However, at this point her heart and lung (with the assistance of a bi-pap) readings are normal.  Her BUN (blood urea nitrogen) level is over 220.  It was 163 yesterday.    I am dubbing this the TMN or Tender Mercy Number because the higher the BUN, the more calm and sedated she becomes.  Two or three days ago she would wince and moan at the slightest movement or touch.  Moving her from one side of the bed to the other was very painful to her even though she wasn't completely aware of what was happening.  Yesterday her pain level decreased throughout the day as her BUN/TMN steadily increased to where by the end of the day I could drop her arm from 6 inches up and she wouldn't even flinch.  The docs said this is one of the best ways to go (with a high BUN/TMN).  She won't feel or be aware of anything going forward.  They said she could go at anytime or hold on for a couple more days.

It has been very interesting watching as she slowly slips off into the next world.  Brother Cornelius (the hospital's branch president) visited us a couple days ago.  When he was here he mentioned that he read somewhere that death is like a ship sailing off and over the horizon.  From our perspective the ship is disappearing.  However, from the perspective of people on another distant shore the ship is slowly appearing.  We are crying and lamenting on our shore.  The other shore is full of ecstatic people holding welcome home signs.  Both shores watching the same ship carrying the precious cargo.

Here's a couple selfies Teri took last night.  We were all on a high from Elder Perry's visit.


 

I think it is so cute when Teri does a fake frown - or tries to do one that is :)

Authored by: Danny (Step dad)

5 comments:

  1. As difficult as it is to wait for Michalla to leave this world, it must be a huge relief to know that she is FINALLY free from her pain. What tender mercies you have witnessed throughout this. You are very blessed to have been able to say goodbye. I'm so glad for your experience with Elder Perry. That is a beautiful blessing from a loving Father in Heaven. I love you all very much! And will miss Michalla. But I know that we will see her again. Love and prayers to you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the Comforter is real. May you feel enveloped is his love and peace. Many are thinking of you constantly. Teri, it's good to see you smile. We may not have all the answers but one we do have is that He loves us. Sometimes we just move forward from that one piece of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great analogy of how it is. Love your guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Carly. I work with Keri Beardall and she shared a link on fb to this blog. She had told us of Michalla a few months ago and we have prayed for her for a while. I am so grateful for you and your family for sharing your testimony with through this blog. I know that it must be so hard as emotions are so raw....but know that your faith and testimony gives me strength! We will continue to send prayers your way of comfort and healing. Families are Forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a poem that was shared to us by hospice when my mother in law was dying. I have been touched by your beautiful daughter. Prayers of comfort for your family.
    http://hospicephysician.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/gone-from-my-sight/
    There is a great booklet about the dying experience that we use in our hospice for families. The booklet is called “Gone From My Sight,” and it’s helped many families through these difficult and unknowing times. I have had 100% positive feedback. There is a great poem at the end that I always like to go back to from time to time.

    I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

    Then someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!”

    “Gone Where?”

    Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

    Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!” there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: “Here she comes!”

    And that is dying.
    -Henry Van Dyke

    ReplyDelete