Monday, June 9, 2014

Fast tomorrow

I am fasting tomorrow for Michalla.  I know several family members and ward members are as well.  I ask that anyone that is willing and able to fast, please join us in uniting our faith that Michalla will get better.  The doctors are trying one last thing to help her with the organs that are shutting down and other issues she is having.  It is a long shot but we aren't done fighting yet.

Michalla expressed she is tired for fighting but she isn't ready to die yet. The doctors say within the next few days will be able to tell if the drugs are helping.  These drugs are not without risk.  That is why we had the meeting with the doctors.  But we made a decision that we had to try because without the treatment she would certainly not make it.

As we were explaining to Michalla that she was old enough that she had to decide if she wanted to be on life support and who she wanted to make the decisions for her if she gets to the point she can't decide anymore, she got all sad.  The only thing she said (it is hard for her to talk) was that she was sorry and felt bad she was taking up so much time and energy of everyone's life.

That is so Michalla.  We are talking about her dying and she is apologizing for being a burden to everyone.  She is the most thoughtful person I know.  Just like offering her blanket to me in the ultra sound room, while I was laying by her this morning she wanted to move her pillow because she was so uncomfortable but was worried I wouldn't be comfortable anymore.  Here is a girl that is in more pain than she has ever been in and she is worried my head won't be comfortable.  I just love that about her.  Another sweet thing about Michalla was when they came to bring me the sacrament yesterday, she thought she would be able to take it.  When they didn't pass it to her, tears started rolling down her cheeks because she was so disappointed that she wouldn't be able to take it.  What an awesome example to me!  I hope to be able to feel that longing for the sacrament that she has.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers that are coming our way.  I am so grateful in times like this that I have a sure testimony in the gospel.  I can't imagine going through this without the knowledge that there is life after we leave this earth.  Without an eternal perspective, I don't think I would be able to go on.  I am so thankful that Michalla is sealed to me.  Yesterday Rich told Michalla "This body isn't you."  That is so true. Michalla is much more than this mortal body she is trapped in.

I love you all.  Thanks for sustaining me when I didn't think I had anything left in me. Your kind words of encouragement are what get me through the day.


    Thanks Heather. When I show Michalla she smiled. 

11 comments:

  1. What an inspiration she is. I hope I can be more like her. I'm bawling as I write this! I will fast for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me but I feel like I know you. We are friends of Lilly's family (that's how I came to know of you). The more I read of Michalla and her struggles the more I feel I know you. It seems our pathways were determined to cross somehow. My daughter Kayla knew Kait through mutual friends at LDSBC. My son Kellen is serving in Antelope, CA where he met "Elder" Dedrickson (sorry for bad spelling). And of course Michalla's sweet friendship/mentorship with Lovely Lilly. Our prayers have been (& will continue to be) with you & for you. Reading of Michalla's distress about not taking the sacrament reminded me of someone in my parents ward who had medical problems & couldn't take food or water by mouth. As a gesture, he would take the bread & hold it to his lips (but not eat) & held the water cup to his lips (but not drink) it gave him some measure of comfort to participate as much as possible... just a thought. Continued prayers for your family to remain strong together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri my heart goes out to you, Michalla and your family. I know the emotional pain you are going through. I have been there myself when I lost my newborn son Logan at 24 days old. So many good days and so many bad days, like a rollercoaster of emotions flooding you each day as you wait and wonder what the outcome will be. It's a tough spot to be in. Your blessed to be able to communicate to Michalla and comfort her and know her feelings and thoughts about all of this. I never had that opportunity with Logan. Everyone will pass through their own Garden of Gethsemane, their trial by fire. Michalla and your family are passing through yours now. Whatever the outcome, keep your faith and stay steadfast in Christ throughout the rest of this trial and beyond. He knows each of us personally and has tailor-made our trials and afflictions to help us gain eternal life. Remember what the Lord told the Prophet Joseph Smith-your pain and suffering will be but a small moment and if you endure it well He will exalt thee on high. This trial will strengthen you even more and everything from this point forward will seem like a piece of cake. I am hoping for a miracle! Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. {Hugs} from Lilly's family in Texas. We are all praying for Lilly's special friend who has been so kind to her. May God bless you and give you strength during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, and I can't fast because I am breastfeeding, but my husband and I are praying so hard for Michalla and for your whole family! Prayer = miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be fasting and praying too. May God bless you all with strength and courage through this, and bless dear Michalla with healing. We send our love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love u michalla. I will fast for you and your mom. I LOVE US!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love u michalla. I will fast for you and your mom. I LOVE US!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The link below is to a beautiful page about sorrows and hardships. His words are very comforting. I thought you might like to read them, if you haven't already. Best wishes for Michalla. https://www.facebook.com/mitchellsjourney/photos/a.498931326803200.95172805.192859897410346/900746723288323/?type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  10. MANY PRAYERS for you!!! I am so sorry that you are even having to go through this. It just seems so unfair. Cancer sucks! All my love, Erica Wilkinson (Whitney and Morgen's Aunt)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whitney and I fasted and prayed for you as well on Tuesday and know the Lord's will and timing will prevail.

    ReplyDelete