Thursday, May 22, 2014

Out of surgery update

During the surgery Michalla had a intubator placed down her mouth into her lungs and also a drain put into her lungs to remove fluid.  The fluid is bloody. I guess I didn't understand when she went under that they weren't waking her up.  They are keeping her sedated until it is safe to remove the intubator.  Don't know how long that will be.  I am glad I got her to focus on my eyes and really zone into me as I said and made it clear " I love you Michalla".  She gave me a little smile and a slight nod.  Rich was able to tell her the same thing.  We made it clear before she went under that we loved her.  I am glad I didn't know she wasn't coming to or I may not have been able to talk through the tears.

It is kind of weird to look at her laying there unconscious.  It should look more sad and scary than it does.  Instead I feel so happy for her because she is finally not struggling to breathe and sucking out mucus from her mouth and throat and peeing blood and throwing up and aching.  Even though she looked horrible with the tubes coming out of her, all I could think was finally she is getting some rest and some peace.

The one doc that performed the procedure to remove some fungus to culture and washed out her lungs said their was less fungus than they anticipated.  That is good.  They are going to grow the cultures and see if they can find out what kind of fungus it is so they can treat it better.

The other doc that performed the drain said the lungs were much worse than they thought.  There was a lot more fluid and looked worse than they imagined.

With the brain and the rest of her body fungus free I feel like we have a fighting chance.  She still has jaundice and they can't figure out why her brain is still wacky and many other infections but one day at a time.  And today was a good day.  Today was a day for a miracle and it happened!  

PhotoFluid draining off her lungs


PhotoIntubator and sedation

4 comments:

  1. Teri we are all still praying here and are thankful for your updates. Michalla is so strong and she gets it from you! We love you all so much and are continuing to pray for more miricals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish her well, Teri and Rich too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you guys so much! The Fossum family is praying our little hearts out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since Natalie T. posted a link about your daughter I have been praying.

    ReplyDelete