Sunday, May 25, 2014

It's Sunday and the Sun is shining

Update:  It is been confirmed that the fungus is Michalla's lungs is Aspergillus, which is a mold.  The good news (so happy we have had a string of good news) is that it is a common fungus they treat around here and are familiar with treating it. They were concerned since she wasn't responding to the antifungal medicine that it was something more rare and hard to treat.  The other good news is that her ANC is 4600!  Can you believe it?!!!!  Her body is not giving up.  What a fighter! We are still in the ICU and on the cpap.  Nothing much has changed.  Still draining fluid off her lungs and trying to get fevers under control.
 
The last couple of days have really be humbling as I realize how little I am in charge of my life (or Michalla's for that matter) and how much love and goodness there is in the world.  The outpouring of love and support has been amazing.
 
On Tues or Wed (this week has been a blur) while we were down having the MRI and other tests and my heart was so sad and my head spinning a note written on a napkin got taped to the room door.  The words, "Michalla mama" were written on the outside of it. I am going to only put initials for the names since I don't know if they would want me sharing.  This is what the note said: Hi my name is B and my son J is also treated here for ALL.  I came across your blog last night and wanted you to know our prayers are with you and your family.  I work at the U Hosp and can bring you any thing if you ever need it.  Please feel free to call or text me! 801-.... Hugs to all of you!
 
As I read that note tears just started rolling down my cheeks.  The amount of love and kindness in this world amazes and inspires me.  I don't know if I would be as good of a person as all of you are.  I am so wrapped up in my own world and my problems that sometimes I fail to look around me. Here is a woman who's own son is battling cancer and she reaching out to me and looking outside her own problems (which I am sure are huge) 
 
Then Thursday I got a private facebook message that read: 
Hi Teri, my 8 yr old son, G, was diagnosed with ALL one day after sweet Lilly. I have been following your blog the last few days on your beautiful Michalla and wanted to send you our prayers, positive thoughts, tears, and love. The first time I ever saw a post of Michalla and Lilly I wondered why we couldn't have met Michalla first. But then I realized my sweet son wouldn't have appreciated matching leggings as much as Lilly and thought it was meant to be. Without even meeting your daughter, I can see so much life and hope and strength in her eyes, I feel like I have so much more to learn from her. We aren't the most religious people, but this experience has shown us God's hand in so many different ways, I am finally realizing there is so much more to this life than my shallow mind had ever thought before. I am so grateful to come across such beautiful families as yours in this life, to learn and grow from. I find myself going from never praying to saying more prayers in my lifetime for my son and for people that I have never even met. My heart is with you and Michalla at this time and I truly hope and pray with all my heart that tomorrow will be a better day. Much love to you and your family, C
(Reminder Lilly is the darling 6 year old that has ALL that Michalla has befriended.  They love and inspire each other. I believe it was a tender mercy of the Lord that our families met each other.)
 
All I can say is WOW!  I could go on and on (and I know I usually do :) ) about the angles that are here on this earth serving and reaching out to my family.  I haven't had the time to reach out to each of you personally but everytime I read a comment on facebook, or get a text, (even just a short 'I'm thinking of you') it makes my heart swell and my face smile. 
 
Once again I couldn't do this alone.  It really does take a village....  Thanks for reaching out to me in my time of need.  It's ironic that when times are the roughest and scariest that I couldn't feel more blessed.   I love you all.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes my heart so happy!! Michalla is a fighter! Lilly keeps asking when we can visit Michalla so she can give her the BIGGEST HUG EVER! That will be the greatest day, won't it? We love you guys so so much! Keep hanging in there... A day at a time! Hope I can catch up with you in a few days. Lilly will be admitted to start her next phase of treatment. (if she makes counts) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilly is such a sweetheart. I can't wait for that day. When I read your comment my eyes teared up thinking of the day when these two girls can be free of this disease and just give each other the biggest hug! The visual of that gives me goosebumps.

      Delete
  3. I love you Teri! Your faith anf testimony lifts me up each day as I read these updates.I wish there was something more that John and I coild do. We are kind of just sitting back and watching hoping our prayers reach you. Please let us know if you need anything, especially with the family at home. Love you and can't wait to read the exciting need when Michalla recovers. Xoxoxo J &S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Teri! Your strength and faith inspire me daily. Please remember that I'm so happy to help in any way. Your ward family prays for Michalla (& for you) always! Thank you for sharing your heart and soul through this blog. You are my hero!!! Michalla is such a fighter! I know that Heavenly Father is watching over her and that He's sent guardian angels to be with both of you. All my love and prayers, Ericka

    ReplyDelete
  5. We know exactly how great an ANC of 4600 is!!!!! That is miraculous!!!!!!! Go Michalla!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update! I'm so glad to her that you can fight this mold crap!!!! o glad that her count is up and so glad that you gave others who know what you are going through and that you can buoy each other up!

    ReplyDelete