Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mom's perspective of the bald beautiful head.

Wow...what a week it has been.  All week we have been fighting keeping the hair in just a little longer with lots of hair spray and gel.  For days there have been hair all over pillowcase and sheets and clothes.  Michalla could just pull it out by the handfuls.  After much anticipation (sometimes the wait and anxiety  are worse than the actual experience of it) we finally decided that Saturday would be the day.  She wasn't exactly sure who she wanted to have shave her head.  West (the husband of one of my best friends, Wendy) asked Michalla if she would shave his head.  They were coming up on Saturday so West could do Michalla's nails.  Michalla decided to just have West do it.  Since we didn't have any hair cutting capes they both donned hospital gowns and she shaved his head first.  She had never shaved a head before...let alone a black man from Guana's head.  That part was fun. Then the hard part started.

Michalla didn't want to be known as just another bald kid on the 4th floor (most kids here have no hair thanks to chemo).  She was getting used to all the attention that the colorful hair brought. It was fun to stand out.  Not to mention what girl wants to be bald!  There were some tears, from both her and me.  I asked her if she wanted me to say a prayer before he started.  She did.  I said a prayer that the comforter would be with her and that she would be strong and know that beauty comes from inside etc. etc.  It was nothing spectacular.  After the prayer, I held her hand and West started in.  The whole time he was shaving it, she was extremely calm.  It was 180 degree difference from the last time she had to shave her head.  The last time, she wouldn't look in the mirror for 2 weeks and she didn't let any nurses or doctors see her, let alone visitors.  She was also crying uncontrollably. This time, as you can see, she allowed me to take pictures and she posted them!!!! I am so proud of her.  She isn't the same girl she was 18 months ago.  She is so much more mature and strong. What a great example to all those around her.

She still doesn't like to look in the mirror and she tells me she looks like a boy.  She is way too pretty to be a boy (no offense, all you males out there.)  She has such a great face and head for being bald. It was also fun that she has a picture that Russ Fullen sent of Nanette with her cute bald head.  He told Michalla that now he has 2 beautiful bald women in his life. (Love those Fullens so much) .

Michalla saved to have her nails done until after the shaving "as a reward" as she put it.  While West did her nails, Wendy and I rubbed her legs and feet.  She fell asleep about 1/2 way through.  It was so adorable and sweet that here this princess was sound asleep while those that love her took care of her and served her.  In this picture, Michalla is sound asleep.

Had the privilege of attending sacrament meeting up here again today.  They had 2 girls play the violin and someone on the piano play If You Could Hie To Kolob.  About 1/2 the audience was crying.  There is something about this place that allows the spirit to be felt so strongly.  It was really touching. Ever since my dad's funeral that has been my favorite song and has a special place in my heart. The sacrament was brought to Michalla again and the Cornelius came to visit.  It is so neat that they take to time to personally visit Michalla each week when I know they are both very busy people.

I want to thank again (although I don't feel like words are ever enough) everyone for their love and support.  We feel the prayers and couldn't make it through without all the Christ like service that is given to Michalla, Me and the family.  From rides, to meals, to visits, to text messages etc.  I have the best support system anyone could ask for!!!!  I love you all. 

1 comment:

  1. I only wish I could do more.....please always let me know if there is anything I can do. It is no wonder where that sweet girl gets her beauty and strength from!!

    ReplyDelete