Sunday, February 2, 2014

History and Forecast

Some of you may be wondering what exactly is going on in the hospital.  Well, Michalla got here last Thursday and after a couple of surgeries instantly started on Chemo.  She had 8 days of intense Chemo.  She now has a week off and will get more chemo at the end of the week.  This week is the greatest risk for infections and illness.  They check her temperature all the time as well as monitoring just about everything you can image.  She hasn't been feeling great but much better than we expected.  She does have the typical side effects--peeling skin, everything tastes like metal, bowel issues, bad headaches, bloody noses, nausea etc. but it has been much worse on other rounds of chemo. 

Her white blood cell count is at zero (which is a good thing).  If everything goes according to plan then she will be able to come home for a few days in about 2-3 weeks before she comes in for more chemo.  She will only be able to come home if she doesn't get an infection (which they say is very likely since she doesn't have an immune system.) So we are praying for the best.

The bad news is that none of her 4 siblings were a match for the bone marrow transplant.  The good news is that they have found some really good matches to Michalla's bone marrow.  They try to get a 10 out of 10 match but they will take a 9 out of 10 if a 10 can't be found.  Michalla's match is a 10!  Having a 10 instead of a 9 increases her chances of survival. They say it takes about 8 weeks to coordinate with an unrelated donor.  In the meantime she can't be allowed to just come home and wait.  She has to continue to receive chemo until the bone marrow is available.

After the bone marrow transplant she has to spend about 2 months in the hospital.  (She can't even leave her room with a mask).  This is the period of greatest risk.  Again, if no complications happen then she is allowed to come home since we live within 1 hour of the hospital.  If we didn't we would have to live here for the next 8 months.  That is because the likely hood of something happening (illness, rejection of bone marrow by body etc.) is so great.  It is pretty much guaranteed we will make several emergency trips up to Primary's during that time.  During this time she is basically on house arrest.  She isn't allowed to go to school, work, church or anywhere in public. She can't share our food or have anything that could be harboring bacteria (like fresh vegis, fruit, salad, deli meat, cheese etc.).

Again, these are all best case scenarios but that is what we are shooting for!  This last week has been rough emotionally for Michalla but she is such a fighter and has kept such a positive kind attitude toward everyone.  I am so proud of her.

The branch president gave her a blessing on Thursday and in Michalla's words "It was the most beautiful blessing I have ever received."  It had a great calming factor for her.  It reassured her that the Lord hadn't forgotten about her and had a plan for her.  After the blessing she felt such a sense of peace.

Today, I was able to go to the sacrament meeting they hold on the 3rd floor.  Today was extra special because it was testimony meeting.  There were a handful of sick kids in the meeting.  There was a little 2 year old with a brain tumor. :(.  Someone mentioned that the veil is really thin here because of all these sick kids.  I could feel that so strongly during that meeting.  I felt like Christ, himself, was sitting amongst those children.  It was such a neat feeling that I didn't want it to end.

They brought the sacrament to Michalla and the Branch president and his wife came by for a visit.  They are such neat people.  While they are here the room feels so peaceful. They are so good to Michalla.

Thank you to all the ward members and friends that have been feeding my family and helping with rides these last couple of weeks.  Also thank you for all the prayers given in my family's behalf.  They are truly felt.  I feel the hand of God in my life everyday and am constantly surrounded by the comforter. I love you all.     -----Teri

5 comments:

  1. Hi Teri, Great entry!! I'm checking to see if you got the lds.org articles. Here are the links in case you didn't. Cheri

    www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/04/endure-it-well?lang=eng

    http://www.lds.org/ensign/1997/04/enduring-well?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Michalla,
    I have been thinking of you everyday since you spoke in church. You are such an example to me of faith. I am praying for you everyday and I put your name in the temple when I attended the other day. I think of your beautiful face and your great strength and I am so proud of you. I have known you since you were a little girl and I have always loved you. You are amazing!!! I LOVE YOU! Susan Nicholes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, Thanks for the update! Michalla, I am so proud of you and the example you are to all of us! You are a beautiful daughter of God and I know he is there with you to help get you through the bad and the good days! We are thinking of you and praying for you daily. Love, Aunt Keri and Family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dear Granddaughter, I am so very proud of you. Your mom told me that you felt my mother in your room when you were receiving your blessing. I KNOW she was there for you. As I told you in a text, your ancestors are praying just as hard for you as your friends and family are. I told you that there is a Heavenly Choir singing for you that was like the Tabernacle Choir on steroids. Always know you are so loved and such a precious one to all who know you, and all who know about you. You are in my heart and prayers constantly. I also pray for your mom and dad, and your family, as they too are "going through" this with you, only in their own way. YOU GO GIRL!!! All my love, Grandma Beardall

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to hear that Michalla is doing so well. I am excited to hear of the match for bone marrow! Keeping your family in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete