Sunday, March 30, 2014

I love Sundays.

This is Teri, Michalla's mom. I have to write a post while my heart is so full.  I just returned from the 1/2 hour Sacrament service they provide here at the hospital.  Every week I attend is good but for some reason Fast and Testimony meeting is spectacular.  From the minute I walk into that small auditorium until the final prayer, my heart feels like it is going to explode from how strong the spirit is.  Within those 4 walls I feel like I am sitting in the celestial kingdom. I feel my Savior's love stronger in those rooms than just about anywhere. As I watched those U of U college students bless and pass the sacrament to the families of patients in the hospital, I felt such a love for each one of those young men.  I didn't expect it, but I just felt such pure love for them and the sacrifice they make to be away from their home ward and serve us.

Then the testimonies from parents who have children here.  Talk about having the purest testimony of God's love and the power of prayer.  These people here are living that testimony daily. Here are people who are going through some of the hardest trials of their life and every one of them testify of God's love for them and of how much God knows each one of us personally.  One young father just cried as he said that words could not adequately explain how full his heart was.  That is exactly how I feel, so please excuse the rambling.

Before I went down to the meeting I read a conference talk to Michalla that my friend, Teri Ivie, had given me to give to Michalla.  It had helped her when her husband was killed a few years back.  It is by President Uchtdorf and is called 'The Infinite Power of Hope'.  I was so touched by some of the things in that talk.  He says: "If we could look beyond the horizon of mortality into what awaits us beyond this life....Those who come unto Christ, repent of their sins, and live in faith will reside forever in peace. Think of the worth of this eternal gift. Surrounded by those we love, we will know the meaning of ultimate joy as we progress in knowledge and in happiness. No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will exceed our grandest expectations.  The Savior is the Author of our Salvation. "

My greatest desire the last few years is to just have peace.  I don't need excitement or fun or praise etc.  All I have wanted is to feel peace in my life.  I think that is why those words touched me so deeply.  The promise that the Savior is the author of my life story and that the final chapter brings the ultimate peace (if I live worthy) is so comforting.  I also love the visual of being surrounded by those we love.  Uchtdorf describes it as the ultimate joy.  I agree!  One of the my favorite memories is having my three oldest children, Megan, Michalla, and Logan with me in the Palmyra temple as we all did baptisms for the dead.  Other awesome memories are attending a temple session while my Dad was a temple worker and having him officiating in the room and participating in initiatory while my mom was a temple worker and having the privilege of being in the same booth she was working in.  It is no coincidence that some of my fondest memories involve family members who I love deeply and the temple (the closest you can get to heaven on this earth)

I have a testimony that God is indeed my Heavenly Father and he loves me and each one of us deeply.  I know that he knows me intimately and wants me to be happy.  I know that only through the atonement of our older brother, Jesus Christ, is it possible to be worthy of those blessings the Lord has in store for us. I love this gospel and ask forgiveness for my shortcomings and times I don't live my testimony like I should.

Lastly, I believe in Miracles.  I see them daily in my life.  These daily miracles strengthen my testimony and my resolve to be a better person.

I love each one of you.  May you feel God's peace this week.

Teri

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Teri for sharing. You are all amazing and such great examples of love and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing mom!! I feel so overwhelmed at times and I'm still trying to figure out this new life we are living with Lilly's diagnosis. My heart still feels broken at times... Especially when Lilly says "she wishes this never happened to her" or "when is it someone else's turn to be sick instead of hers"? But I do know that our Heavenly Father has been with us every step of the way. We have seen many tender mercies if The Lord and I am very grateful for the experiences we've had. I'm so glad Lilly has Michalla to lean on. Lilly gains so much strength from her. We will be forever friends with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Your faith and endurance are so inspiring. Love your family, your sweet daughters and son and am so grateful to be a part of their lives. Thank you for sharing with us and taking us on this journey of faith....watching parents and children go trough what you have been asked to go through is heartbreaking and yet builds me up in ways I will never be able to express. To all of you, Lilly's mom and my own brother..thank you just doesn't even cut it, you are living examples of Gods love and the world needs people like to you help lift up the rest of us. (Trying to see the words through my tears��)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri, I'm Lilly's grandmother, Jay's mom. Thanks for the beautiful thoughts. We also know of Heavenly Father's love for us and receive tender mercies all of the time. I only met Michalla once through the door when Lilly was in the hospital. My family adores her and the friendship that she has created to help each of us get through this trial. She is truly a blessing and such a beautiful daughter of God. It is through these hard trials that help us see our true strength. May the Lord bless Michalla and her wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete